Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Real" Writers

I have a confession. Many, many months ago Dave graciously invited me to become a member of this blog. I'm sure no one really knows that given the fact that I have never written a post here. The thought has crossed my mind several times, especially when I repeatedly open up my blogging dashboard and see the blog sitting there. It always fills me with a twinge of guilt when I pass by day after day and tell myself I'll do it another time.

I realized this morning the reason has simply been intimidation, fear if you will. I write a lot about fear and believe it is the single biggest barrier we face to realizing our full potential. So I am biting the bullet so to speak, and am writing a first post here. Perhaps you are asking why it is I am fearful? Because I have convinced myself I am not a "real" writer and have no business nosing around in a writer's blog.

Then I started thinking (yes, that dreaded thinking that gets me into trouble time and time again). What is a "real" writer? Does a "real" writer write fiction? Poetry? Nonfiction? Children's books? Does a "real" writer flawlessly execute the rules of grammar and create sentences that would make any college professor grin from ear to ear? Does a "real" writer have a vocabulary that creates music with their words and impresses readers with the breadth of their knowledge? Does a "real" writer write sentences that are complex and deep, conveying their stellar intellect with stunning clarity? Does a "real" writer have to be published?

I suppose all of these things do make "real" writers. But what of those who simply write because it is what they love to do most in the world? What of those whose writing may never be deemed publication material by those who have been given the power to make those decisions? What about those who can sit and write for hours and feel as though it has been merely minutes because the mere act of writing has brought them to a place of ecstatic engagement? What about those who can't wait for the next opportunity to sit and write, and practically ignore everything else they "should" be doing because their desire is to simply write? Are those individuals not "real" writers? What exactly makes a "real" writer? Who deserves the title and who gets to decide?

I guess I had already decided that I wasn't a "real" writer, and so nothing I could produce from the stream of my consciousness could ever be worth reading by anyone else. In fact, my blog is called Seawave's Soliloquy because I never actually believed anyone would want to read what I write.

So anyway, I have overcome the fear and have written a post here. Nothing particularly profound or helpful, but I do thank you for your patience and indulgence. Let me just give a final note of encouragement to those I have seen post here. In my eyes, each of you is a "real" writer.

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Sea my friend:

That was beautifully written. I have thought the same as I have read posts in your blog. You do have a talent for phrasing. Your writing feels comfortable, and beyond that it offers encouragement to your readers.

Please feel free to join in and contribute. The goal here is to strengthen each of us by growing together.

I hope you will enter something into our contest. You are among friends, and it is for the sheer joy of writing.

I am glad you have finally posted here.

Dave

9:32 PM, April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My latest post on my own blog also addresses the same kind of question, only I've called it "proper" writing. As far as I'm concerned, any writer in "proper" and any writer is "real". If only the rest of the world would agree :)

7:32 AM, April 26, 2006  
Blogger Diane Viere said...

No doubt, Sea, we bring our own judgement to that question. Before I started writing for a local Christian devotional and a variety of regional inspirational publications, I believed a real writer was someone who had been published. I have come to appreciate that a real writer is anyone--yes anyone--who puts into print anything that enhances the readers life. This could be someone who faithfully writes notes to loved ones in the form of encouragement, support, or love! It could be the child who brings home his/her first essay and reads it out loud with joy--as his parents beam with pride. Yes, I believe, even if the reader is the writer--the writer is a real writer!

It is an exchange of thought in print. It is a form of communication that bursts out of the writers heart and hand. Whether published or not--you are a writer! Your courage only confirms this--thank you for risking such a thought provoking post!

Diane

11:47 AM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger sea said...

What inspiring and uplifting comments you have all written, and I am honored to be among such gifted friends who are so welcoming and encouraging. Getting past fear as a barrier serves to free us from our self-imposed bondage of doubt and uncertainty. It is the ego that requires publication and validation of one's work, and I know that when I write from my heart and my soul without consideration of my ego, that is when I am fully engaged. I thank you again for all of your words of wisdom.

11:33 AM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger Jillian said...

((((((Seawave))))))

What a beautiful and transparent post! I'm proud of you for overcoming the fear -- and pushing aside the lies that you have believed about yourself.

Putting our work out there is so.....scary. Like being naked in front of strangers.

I have always enjoyed your writing! I'm glad you're here. :)

11:35 AM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger T.C. said...

I want in on this party! Anyway, I'm still searching for that elusive 'voice.' I've yet to reach my full potential - I feel it. Part of the problem is I can't seem to focus on any one genre. We all have varying degrees of insecurities. No one is alone here. Whenever I feel down I read some real junk and it fills me with a sense of purpose. Weird I know but not all writers who get to be published are all that original - or good.

5:23 PM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger C. H. Green said...

Welcome to our world!

10:49 AM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Seawave,

Nice post! It took me a long time to call myself a "writer." I still do not tell people when they ask what I do. Of course I'm not published (other than small publications/articles). I have a hard time even telling people I am close to what I'm trying to accomplish.

But when I think about what defines a writer, it helps to look at it simply:

A writer is one who writes.

Doesn't get any more simple than that! Why then do I still have a hard time calling myself a writer?

Can't figure that one out...

Thanks for stepping out of your comfort zone to share your post with us.

Keep on writing!

4:54 PM, May 14, 2006  
Blogger D.S. White said...

Way to go Sea, I know exactly what you mean. I'm always conscious of the fact it's be over twenty years since I completed my last college course and stopped to have my daughter then resume.

I'm still hoping to resume and as such, I'm always conscious of my propensity to write a nine word sentence with eight commas.

But as you said, fear does nothing but prevent us from realizing our potential.

10:05 AM, June 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home