Sunday, March 26, 2006

Who's Up for a Friendly Competition?

Hello all:

I have been thinking that it would be fun to have our own little contest here in Mistland.

Jill set us the task of a Dr. Seuss piece, the reward was a signed copy of her book.

As I am not yet published, I can't offer that, but I thought a competition nonetheless.

GENRE: Your choice, but FICTION

LENGTH: 300 - 1200 words

DUE DATE: April 30, 2006, midnight, Arizona time. By then, that will be equivelant to Pacific time.

TOPIC: Fictionalize one of your most memorable childhood events.

RULES: Keep it clean

As the genre is your choice, the topic becomes a launching pad with a very powerful spring. The childhood memory is simply a trigger to write any kind of short story you want. The goal is to get your creative juices flowing.

Here is your chance to become the fairy princess you always wanted to be, (for the women... sheesh!) or the knight in shining armor.

There will be a prize for the winner, but that will be a surprise. The reward will be appropriate to the winning story.

Anyone can enter

Spread the news, and GAME ON!

Happy writing!

Contact me directly with questions, concerns, donations, and free pizza at: dhanks@righttrak.net

4 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

Dave -- this is a SUPER idea! I hope you're getting some response.

I don't know if I can take the bait or not. Or for that matter, if Eric will LET me spend time on something other than my novel!

But I wanted to let you know that I love stuff like this. :)

2:38 PM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Dave,
I'd like\ to submit a story for your contest. How do I proceed to submit my entry? Post here? Email to you?

Please let me know when you get a chance!

Thanks for the fun idea!

-Lisa

8:08 PM, April 09, 2006  
Blogger Noner said...

Mmm..the only problem is that, even fictionalized, anything from my life, childhood or otherwise, is horribly boring. -grin-

3:42 PM, April 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so screwed. I'm about maybe 1/8th into my story and I'm at 850 words. I see my word limit NOT making it. So what I might do, since I asked that this competition be delayed, is try and take a segment of it that might stand on it's own.

You know I SUCK at short. It's be very useful to me if I could learn to write short pieces.

Or I might end up submitting a piece I wrote a while back that is within the word limit, but I don't know if it qualifies as 'children's' story.

I'm a basket case right now. Sorry :D

6:19 PM, May 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home