Friday, February 17, 2006

Testimonial

Lisa has some great advice in her recent post about joining writer's groups. She mentions how harsh and brutal some critiques can be and how sensitive we as writers can be over our "babies." This has been one of the hardest parts of me spreading my wings and learning to fly as a writer. I just wanted to share with you what has happened to me in the last six months.

I have been writing for my own pleasure since 9th grade. I made high marks in English and Literature because I was fascinated with the written word. I read every book that crossed my path, no matter what genre. I would write poetry and essays and lock them away in a metal box in my room to keep my sisters out of my private works. For years, the box stayed locked, although growing quite full. Two journals became three, then four, then six. Still it remained locked and out of sight. I don't know why I feared the opinions of my family. I was shy and insecure. There were no huge secrets inside, yet the mystery intrigued them for many years.

I found myself unemployed in September of last year. Forty was fast approaching. It was time to reevaluate my dreams and goals. It was now or never. I unlocked the box and began rewriting and submitting. I joined writer groups. I began blogging. And I found groups of people that were just like me. No longer am I the odd man out. I have colleagues that struggle with the same issues I face. I have people who have traveled farther down the road and can inspire me with their journey. It is an awesome feeling to finally be able to express yourself openly. And, as I posted in someone's blog just today, no one can tell me that I am not a writer. I am self-published on the world wide web! I am a writer--albeit, a starving artist, but hey, welcome to my world. I have finally learned to celebrate the gifts the good Lord gave me. I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine.

Thanks for being here.

2 Comments:

Blogger D.S. White said...

You are not alone. Forty made a drive by appearance last year and I'm glad to say that I am now living my dreams.

After years of finding the shortest way to say something in the business world. I now find myself struggling to expand on thought patterns and not write so abruptly.

But through the help of writer's groups... I'm improving in leaps and bounds.

As with anything else, you get out of it, what you put into it.

Peace,

5:27 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Very nicely written, Cindy! It's hard to stay focused and positive in the writing world.

I received a couple of rejection letters over the past couple of weeks, but I am pushing forward, no matter what.

It just motivates me to keep stories in front of writing groups and to stay involved with challenges that motivate me to keep writing new things-to spark the imagination.

I'm so glad that you know you're not alone!

11:16 AM, March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home