Friday, February 17, 2006

Tip of the Week - Writing Tools

Hello all:

What do I mean by writing tools? Well, several things really. Besides the obvious things such as a computer or pen and paper, there are some things a writer should not be without:

1) a brain...

okay

1) An up-to-date dictionary
2) Roget's Thesaurus
3) Notebook
4) Books from your writing genre
5) Reference books
6) Instructional material

Let's take a closer look at each one:

1) An up-to-date dictionary. This is must as a writing tool. Not only will it help with definitions, but can give you ideas from the definition there. If you are like me, you read other words on the page. Occasionally you find one you haven't used in awhile, or have never heard of. Try finding new woreds to work into your story, but don't over do it. The perfunctory effervescense of the undulating frog bump stew...

2) A thesaurus: Don't leave home without it! Even if you think you are a master of the English language and know its every nuance and subtlety, there is usually a better word or phrase to replace ones written in your first few drafts. After awhile, you can feel when a word doesn't have the write punch or is too weak. Don't fret, simply pick up your thesaurus and find a better word.

3) A notebook: Don't leave home without it! :) I have a cheap spiral bound notebook that you can find in any office supply or grocery store. I take mine to work with me, and write during lunch. I sit at the lone table in a makeshift breakroom, where colleagues pass frequently and ask me questions like am I writing my life story, or am I documenting my days there at work, etc. Lately, several people have asked if I am writing a book, and they are surprised to find out I am. So anyway... I use the notebook both for writing, and making notes, and jotting down new ideas. For the fun of it, I date each writing session. I do that for a couple reasons: a) For the vain hope that someday should I become famous, this little notebook may become worth something and having the date on it will make it more interesting *cough cough*, b) If someone should plagiarise my work, I can prove when I wrote it *hack wheeze*, c) now back to earth... I like to do it because it helps me track my progress. The dates allow me to see how I have changed from whenever the stuff I am revisiting was written.

4) Books from your genre: This one should be self-explanatory... Know your genre! Know your competition! Know you can match or beat your competition! Learn the good from them, learn from their mistakes.

5) Reference books or media are an invaluable source for facts and background research for your work. My short story posted several months ago was the result of a ton of research. The first draft showed way too much of the stuff I had learned. By the time it reached the version that I recently submitted, most of the facts and details from the first draft had been removed, but the flavor they gave helped set the stage for my story and give it a better sense of realism.

6) Books on how to write, edit, publish, and market are an excellent way to make sure you do everything the right way. Dont shoot blindly into the night... Know your path, and follow it to success. Please let us know about books that you have found useful.

Happy Writing!

P.S.
Dee: I am glad you have come out of the shadows and have begun to post.
Everyone: It isn't a requirement to give tips and suggestions to post. Please feel free to put some of your writing in here for the rest of us to read. In a writing group such as this, comments from your colleagues can be a very good thing. You don't have to use everything that is said, but there will undoubtedly be useful things in what people have to say. Jill and I have been trading chapters of our current works in progress, and it is interesting how helpful even one person can be in spotting flaws, offering suggestions, etc. Please contribute, it will not only benefit you, but will help all of us better our own writing skills.

2 Comments:

Blogger D.S. White said...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the tip.

5:29 PM, February 18, 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thanks Dave!!

10:31 AM, March 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home