Monday, April 24, 2006

Question for You

If any of you write for the Christian market, I pose an interesting question on my blog in the post entitled, "Fencing God In--Or out?" that I would appreciate feedback on. It raises the question of how much or how little you can portray violence or sex and still be able to market your book in the Christian markets as opposed to mainstreaming it.

I have been having a lively email discussion with a Christian publisher who informs me that the guidelines are strict in this area. The subjects aren't taboo, however they require very delicate treatment because Christian booksellers do not want to risk offending readers. This is the reality of marketing.

I raise the questions because of the subject matter of my novel: teenage girl with unwanted pregnancy seeks abortion, gets abducted, and launches a violent attack to gain her freedom. Not a frilly, lacy, sweet story that your Grandma might pick up. But it might be one that your young niece, searching for truth and guidance, might. I'm struggling with the line in the sand. I don't want to water down my book or my mesage...or straddle the fence in order to sell books.

What are your thoughts? If you have time, run on over to my blog and check out my post and leave me some feedback. It would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have an idea for the short story, but I guess I better get my butt in gear and get started. How many participants do we have? And just how far behind am I?

2 Comments:

Blogger T. Suzanne Eller said...

It's how it is presented, C.H. : ) There are many amazing books in the CBA market that address tough issues. One is Watching the Tree Limbs Grow by Mary DeMuth. There are many others.

Heather Gemmen's non-fiction book, Startling Beauty, is written in beautiful prose, with startling details, but with such grace. It's another powerful example.

Suzanne Eller

12:02 PM, May 03, 2006  
Blogger T. Suzanne Eller said...

One more thought. I am the owner of two groups for Christian authors, writers, agents, and editors. You might want to check it out. We have these discussions all the time.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TWV2
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheWritersView

Hope that is helpful.

Suzie (T. Suzanne) Eller

12:03 PM, May 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home