Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Tip of the Week - A revision trick

I have been working very hard lately revising my book, and I accidentally discovered a good way to rewrite a difficult section.

I normally print off the section I am revising, let my pen barf on it, then type in the edits. A week ago, I was staring at a section that I really didn't like. The concept was good, but the writing wasn't. I tried fiddling with words and shuffled sentences, but shuffled crap is still crap.

What I ended up doing was setting the crap-fest aside, and with the concept only took to writing it again fresh. The result was a much better scene with a lot of brand new stuff. So far this technique has netted me three brand new chapters that a far and away better than the drivel I was trying to fix.

Sometimes it's better to level the outhouse instead of trying to turn it into a mansion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home