Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Writers Come Forth! A Request and A New Challenge

It seems that all of us have taken a bit of a hiatus. I really want to keep this going. A group such as this can prove very useful in improving your writing skills, and learning from others.

With that in mind, I would like to offer up my book to the group for critique. It is posted on another blog of mine: http://blackwhiteandshadesofgray.blogspot.com/

Chapter 1 is located here: http://blackwhiteandshadesofgray.blogspot.com/2006/01/revision-1-chapter-1-smudge.html

I am nearing the end of Revision 1, and have now added 5 new chapters, and completely reworked other sections.

I am beginning the query process, but have not yet submitted this. I want to get some serious feedback on it before doing that. So anything you can add to this would be greatly appreciated. Please don't pull your punches. If I need one between the eyes, swing away. I have very thick skinm so don't even think twice about hurting my feelings. :)

Now, onto the challenge:

*The genre is your choice
*Word length 300-1000 words
* Prompt 1: The scariest thing that ever happened to you, or
* Prompt 2: Your most perfect day

Guidelines:
* Use the prompt to generate an idea, then off you go. The result can stray as far from the actual event as you want it to. Maybe your scariest thing was seeing your neighbor in his boxers gathering his newspaper. Turn it into a fat-ugly scary monster story. :)
* I would prefer no profanity or vulgarity

Prize:
* I don't know yet... I still owe Jennifer for winning the last contest.

Deadline: December 31, 2006
Last time I didn't give very much time and was convinced to stretch it out. If that becomes necessary this time, so be it.

Go for it.

5 Comments:

Blogger T.C. said...

I'm in.

4:16 PM, November 10, 2006  
Blogger T.C. said...

Read the last few chapters of your book. Gripping and engaging. How much research did you have to do given the period the book is set in?

4:29 PM, November 10, 2006  
Blogger Dave said...

I have done quite a bit actually. As I was writing, I would include something, then go research to make sure it was available back then.

I did a lot of research on the layout of plantations, what they had available to them for tools, what they wore, what they ate, where and how they slept, did they get breaks? Was citrus fruit available to them? When was the cotton gin invented? Who made the horsehoes? Did the slave owner enlist helpers to oversee the slaves? How much were slaves sold for? Did the house slaves sleep in the house, or with the rest of the slaves? Would the slave cabins have windows? Were there perimeter fences on the plantation? and so on. It is interesting how much information you can gather that doesn't end up in the story, but gives you a strong sense of how it was. It all helps get the flavor right.

7:49 PM, November 10, 2006  
Blogger Noner said...

I know I've not been around much, or at all.

Right now I'm in the middle of NaNo, but I'm sure I can get something written and polished before Dec. 31.

8:26 AM, November 11, 2006  
Blogger T.C. said...

That's what I thought. It comes out in the story. Good stuff. There's so much a Huck Finn story can tell... ;>)

6:31 AM, November 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home